Volvo Trucks Heavy Vehicle Service & Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship
Company Name: MC Truck & Bus Ltd (Southampton)
Application Deadline Date: 29/02/2024
Positions Available: 2
Location: Southampton, SO16 9TA
Salary: £331.50 per week
Start Date: 01/07/2024
Working Week: Alternate shifts, Monday - Friday (earliers 6am-2:15pm & lates 2pm-10pm)
This apprenticeship is the level 3 Heavy Vehicle Service & Maintenance Technician standard programme with MC Truck & Bus in Southampton, SO16 9TA. As an HGV Technician apprentice, you will learn how to maintain and repair Volvo trucks and buses to the manufacturers and DSVA standard.
MC Truck and Bus Ltd are part of the Volvo dealer network for Volvo trucks. Volvo trucks are world leaders in innovation and technical excellence and are one of the world’s leading truck manufacturers.
MC Truck and Bus are currently recruiting for high quality Apprentices to train as a Volvo Technician through the award-winning Volvo Technician Apprenticeship Programme which is considered one of the best in the industry.
There is a lot involved in keeping HGVs on the road, so you will gain a full understanding of the importance of 6-week checks, Operators (O) licence’s and legal obligations and as an HGV Technician apprentice, you will receive training to the manufacturer and DVSAs standard.
What you’ll be learning.
The role of a HGV Technician is to carry out fault diagnosis, service and repairs to HGV’s and buses. During the course and amongst other duties you will learn how to carry out:
• Servicing – carrying out inspections.
• Maintenance – general and preventative maintenance.
• Repairing – repairing/replacing parts.
• Diagnostics – diagnosing faults in the onboard systems.
Hours: 39 working hours per week. There may be slight variances per depot generally the alternating shift pattern. Earlies 6am – 2:15pm, lates 2pm – 10pm
Salary: 1st year apprentice wage is £7.50 per hour (+ additional £1 per hour for shifts).
In this programme, all aspects of heavy vehicle technology are embedded in this dedicated programme and involves a mix of academic learning and on-the-job training.
• Practical learning in the workplace, shadowing your mentor and carrying out the work while being supervised.
• Online studies, completing workbooks and job cards, attending online sessions and virtual classes with your Development Coach, all done during your working day.
• Attending block release to the Volvo Training Academy in Derby, DE21 7BH every 2 months. All costs of your hotel food and accommodation plus all travel arrangements are covered by MC Truck & Bus.
What are the benefits?
• Full-time employment from day one.
• Competitive salary as you progress.
• 31 days holiday including bank holidays.
• Auto Enrolment Pension.
• Free Life Assurance.
• Tool Kit Provided.
• Residential training with expert support and guidance.
• Internationally recognised accreditation.
• Fully paid for training course, including all qualification fees and accommodation.
What you’ll achieve.
On successfully completing the Volvo Apprentice Programme, you will gain national qualifications recognised throughout the automotive industry:
• Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Level 3
• No previous automotive qualifications are needed as the level 3 apprenticeship incorporates level 1 and 2.
• You must have GCSE 9-4 (A* - C) or Functional Skills Level 2 in English and Maths and we will support you to help develop your knowledge further.
• Predicated/MOCK grades are acceptable at application stage, however all job offers will be conditional pending exam results.
• Punctuality and good timekeeping.
• Enthusiastic and motivated.
• Workplace maturity and professionalism.
• Proactive attitude.
• Attention to detail and high standards of work.
You will need to be comfortable with a wide range of vehicles such as trucks and, buses. Being a Heavy Vehicle technician requires a reasonable level of physical strength and stamina.
• A logical approach to problem-solving.
• An enthusiasm to learn new practical and theoretical skills.
MC Truck & Bus provide all their apprentices with the skills needed to become fully qualified and competent individuals with a secure vocation. A Volvo trained apprentice will become a top class asset to their business for years to come. Volvo will do everything they can to help you achieve your goals.
Closing Dates: Please submit your application along with your CV as soon as possible to avoid disappointment; we reserve the right to close vacancies prior to the published closing date if we receive a sufficient number of applications