Job Title : Volvo Specialist Vehicles - Service & Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship
Employer : Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service
Location : Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP20 1BD
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship : Heavy vehicle service and maintenance technician
Sector : Automotive
Vacancy Reference : VAC-07436
Brief Description : Buckinghamshire Fire Authority are recruiting for an Apprentice Technician to join their team to maintain their fleet emergency vehicles.
Qualifications Required : • If you have achieved a level 3 in heavy vehicle maintenance or a similar field, you may not be eligible for the apprenticeship
• Minimum of GCSE (or equivalent) grades of 9* - 4 (A - C) in English and Maths
Vacancy Detail : Remit Training are partnered with Volvo Group UK to deliver their Volvo Manufacturer apprenticeship programme. During which, you will receive training in the workplace from highly skilled Volvo Technicians and attend block release at the Remit Automotive Academy in Derby, over a period of 3 years and will achieve an IMI level 3 Heavy Vehicle Service & Maintenance Technician qualification.
As part of the Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue team, you will be working on emergency services' vehicles, plant, equipment and support vehicles
You will be taught how to carry out:
• Inspections / Services - this includes 6 week checks and full MOT's
• Maintenance - general maintenance like oil changes
• Repairs - components identified as being damaged, faulty or has general wear and tear
• Diagnostics - using Volvo's diagnostic software to diagnose faults on the vehicle management system
As an apprentice, you will observe, learn and gain an understanding of a wide range of engineering skills and processes while under the instruction of skilled technical staff.
• To assist with repairs, servicing and maintenance of fleet vehicles, equipment and tools
• To ensure work instructions are followed at all times
• To undertake any course of instruction necessary to obtain and maintain the required skill level of the trade
• To keep the workplace clear, clean and tidy and promptly answer requests for assistance when authorised by the Workshop Supervisor
• To be aware of health and safety requirements of the workshops and follow any reasonable safety instructions given
• To work with internal customers in a way that is mutually respectful of each other’s skills and needs, based on trust and commitment to the service outcomes
• To undertake such other duties as may be reasonable required on the instruction of the Workshop Supervisor
There will be an expectation for the post holder to make certain decisions relevant to their technical level in order to resolve Workshop requests, although these resolution outputs will be overseen by the Workshops Supervisor
Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 39 hours, 8am - 5pm, Monday - Thursday, 8am - 4pm Friday
Salary : National Minimum Wage
Application Deadline Date : 22/10/2021
Possible Start Date : 01/11/2021
Personal Qualities : A proactive attitude and a flexible approach to work is essential.
This role profile will be supplemented by annual target-based outcomes, which will be developed in conjunction with the role holder. It will be subject to regular review and the Service reserves the right to amend or add to the content listed above
Skills Required : Full UK driving licence is an absolute must
• Good customer service skills
• Ability to learn new skills required for the post
• Good verbal communication skills
• Ability to work within a team and to interact with individuals at all levels
• Able to prioritise tasks
Future Prospects : Once you have achieved your qualification, Buckingham Fire & Rescue will further support you to help you develop personally and achieve your goals.
Training to be Provided : This is a Volvo Heavy Vehicle Service & Maintenance Manufacturer Apprenticeship programme, delivered by Remit Training.
Awarding Body: Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI)
Training is delivered in the workplace and on block release at Remit’s dedicated Academy in Derby. This means you will be required to stay in a hotel for 15 separate weeks (Mon – Fri) over the duration of the programme. All associated costs for training are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you.
You will also be assigned a dedicated Development Coach who will visit you every 4-6 weeks either in the workplace or remotely via Microsoft Teams, giving 1-2-1 advice and guidance to help you achieve the following IMI qualifications:
• Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Level 3
• Functional Skills Level 2 in English & Maths (if required)
Other Information : Closing Dates: Please submit your application along with your CV as soon as possible to avoid disappointment; we reserve the right to close vacancies prior to the published closing date if we receive a sufficient number of applications
Travel: Please check you are able to travel to the Aylesbury branch easily each day
The map below shows the employer's location