Job Title : Apprentice IT Technician
Employer : Larkmead School
Location : Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 1RF
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship : Advanced Level Apprenticeship
Sector : IT
Vacancy Reference : VAC-04639
Brief Description : Are you interested in hardware? Want a career as a Technician? Look no further we are looking to recruit a School IT apprentice to assist end users with various PC issues, you will act as both 1st line and 2nd line support. Interested? Apply now!
Qualifications Required : Hold a GCSE Grade A*-C/9-4 in both Maths and English or Functional Skills Level 2 or equivalent qualifications
A Levels or a BTEC Level 3 would be an advantage.
Vacancy Detail : To support pupils and staff in the appropriate use of ICT and to assist in maximising the availability of ICT systems by responding to and resolving first line support calls and co-ordinating our ICT helpdesk.
• Support ICT service to meet the needs of students, staff and visitors.
• Maintenance of a healthy and stable working ICT environment.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Desktop & Application Support.
Server & Network Support.
Health & Safety.
Support Request Management
Additional Departmental Responsibilities.
• Connect up and check hardware for normal operation
• Set up suitable desktop environments for users including the installation of software applications
• Perform set up and checking of networked based PCs
• Use utilities to change information on the intranet/SharePoint
• Run network monitoring reports or utilities and inform line manager of issues noted
• Carry out basic safety checks and escalate problems as required
• Follow relevant Health & Safety procedures and raise awareness among staff, pupils and other users
• Update records of installed hardware and software
• Maintain a software library and store original copies of installed applications
• Implement school backup and virus protection procedures
• Record requests accurately in support log. Retrieve details of previous requests if an enquiry is made
• Investigate a request for support, record diagnostic information and either resolve or escalate to the appropriate level
• Identify a possible ICT requirement
• Understand the school process for purchasing and recording expenditure
• Purchase consumables following school procedures
• Work as part of a team
• Support staff and pupils
• Contact suppliers
• Produce simple user guides
• Install and maintain standard network cabling or equipment and perform diagnostic checks on network equipment.
• Configure network clients, including allocating or installing required software.
• Create, maintain and troubleshoot all user accounts, permissions and printer quotas.
• Maintain and troubleshoot hardware and software on the network and identify failing systems, suggesting solutions as appropriate.
• Search Internet, knowledgebase and logs of previous calls to diagnose and resolve faults; record detailed diagnostic and resolution information.
• Understand when a quick fix is not sufficient to permanently resolve a problem.
• Prioritise resolutions given staff availability and wider ICT service demands and escalate request when required to external support.
• Identify ICT requirements to fulfil the school staff needs and outline specification for a solution.
• Have an overall view of the capabilities of the school’s ICT service and contribute to continuous improvement to meet future needs.
• Attend relevant courses and actively seek to broaden knowledge and skills relevant to responsibilities.
• Set up ICT equipment for bookings.
• Carry out weekly checks on ICT Suites to ensure they are operational students and staff.
• The post-holder will also be required to perform any other ICT support tasks within the school appropriate to the grade of the post.
The Apprentice IT Technician post-holder is accountable to the Senior ICT Technician and has no direct reports.
Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 8:30am - 4:30pm
Salary : £341.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 23/01/2020
Possible Start Date : 03/02/2020
Personal Qualities : • Ability to analyse and review objectively
• A sense of humour
• Able to work under pressure and to deadlines
• Flexibility and patience
• Commitment, enthusiasm and energy
• Willing to constructively challenge the work of self and others to continually improve own and team performance
• Willingness to be involved in the wider life of the school community
Skills Required : • Experience of working as part of a team
• Dealing effectively with other (internal
and external) agencies
• Experience with Windows 10, Office 2016, Office 365
• Dealing diplomatically, tactfully and sensitively with people in difficult situations
• Effective interpersonal skills
• Sound organisation skills
• Problem solving skills
• Attention to detail
Future Prospects : Potential of a full time position with the school after completion of the apprenticeship
Training to be Provided : The Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship will enable you to gain the relevant knowledge, skills and behaviours to provide first or second line support to internal and external customers and stakeholders to help them be productive when using technology. By the end of the programme, you will be able to set people up on their IT systems and provide support when needed, rectifying issues to maintain colleagues’ and the organisation’s productivity. Job roles include helpdesk technician, first or second line IT support roles or Network support roles. As a result, you will receive the following qualification: Infrastructure Technician (Standard) Level 3 Functional Skills in English and maths (if required)MTA Network Fundamentals/CompTIA A+/ CompTIA Network+ professional qualification (Choose one option)
Other Information : All applicants will be requested to complete 2 application forms, 1 for the training provider and another for the employer if successfully shortlisted - attention to detail is really important.
Things to consider : Larkmead School is a member of the Vale Academy Trust. The Trust and its schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment.
All post holders in regulated activity are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service Enhanced check.
How will you commute to and from the location?
By the time you have completed your qualification you can be earning a very competitive salary and looking forward to a prosperous career with a well known school.
You must be able to manage the demands of completing a technical level 3 apprenticeship whilst maintaining workload.
The map below shows the employer's location