Job Title : Catering Apprentice
Employer : Larkmead School
Location : Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 1RF
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship : Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Business Services
Vacancy Reference : VAC-03887
Brief Description : Remit are recruiting on behalf of Larkmead School in Abingdon for the role of Catering apprentice, to commence in September 2019 and undertaking a Hospitality Team Member Level 2 qualification.
Qualifications Required : GCSE Grades A - C in English and Maths preferred but others will be considered. Acceptance on to the apprenticeship will be subject to meeting the functional skills requirements on assessment
Vacancy Detail : The role will sit within the close-knit team of catering staff, who have a wealth of experience in providing healthy and diverse food choices for the busy school community. The friendly and welcoming community have high expectations of the service and produce from the catering provision and as such the successful candidate shall be an integral part of this provision and must take pride in fulfilling their duties.
Typical duties will include, but not limited to:
- Assist the Catering staff to meet the daily catering requirements, including those for special school functions (eg. meetings and Parents’ Evenings).
- Preparation of simple sauces and pre-mixes according to requirements.
- Preparation of food including fresh, frozen or dehydrated products.
- Preparation of and cooking of simple hot snacks, and packaging of ready for service
- Undergo ‘on the job’ and/or formal catering training and development.
- Ensuring that service areas are restocked and ready for service.
- Develop, under instruction, skills in the catering area which would enable the post-holder to understudy the Catering Assistant/Head cook should the need arise.
- Clean or wash machinery, crockery, cutlery, cooking and serving utensils using approved products.
- Clean floors and equipment (tables, worktops etc) in the kitchen and dining room using approved products.
- Assist in deep cleaning of the kitchen and catering equipment three times a year during holidays.
- With appropriate training, operate kitchen machinery such as mixers, dishwashers, slicing machines etc.
- Assist with the setting up and clearing down of dining furniture and equipment.
- Service in both the hot food area and cold food shop, including operating the till system.
PPE will be provided
The apprenticeship will take 15 - 16 months to complete with a Hospitality Team Member Level 2 qualification obtained.
Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 30 hours pw; Monday - Friday 08.00 - 14.30 during term time
Salary : £215.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 06/09/2019
Possible Start Date : 09/09/2019
Personal Qualities : Pride in what you are doing; great personal presentation; keen and eager to give great customer service. Able to work under pressure
Skills Required : Experience of / interest in cooking and hospitality
Future Prospects : There may be opportunities available on completion of the apprenticeship to take on other roles within the School.
Training to be Provided : You will be undertaking the Food Preparation Pathway of this qualification which will include:
- getting to know the hospitality industry and the importance of customer service
- understanding how to make cost effective decisions in catering
- undertake health and safety and food safety training
- learn how to use machinery safely
- learn food preparation and production in a commercial environment
Training will be delivered at the workplace by Remit Training with visits from a Development Coach every 4 - 6 weeks.
Other Information : Interviews take place on Tuesday, 13th August with a start date of 9th September.
Following screening by Remit Training any candidates selected to progress will be required to complete a full application form in line with Safer Recruitment procedures.
Larkmead School is a member of the Vale Academy Trust. The Trust and its schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All post holders in regulated activity are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service Enhanced check.
All staff will be expected to promote fundamental British values
Things to consider : As this role is based in a school please note the following:
- it is a TERM TIME only role, meaning school holidays will be unpaid. The salary quoted reflects this. There will be a salary increase after 6 months for the successful candidate.
- the role is subject to a satisfactory Enhanced DBS check and three successful references prior to employment
The map below shows the employer's location